Tommy Wood MD, PhD is an elite-level professional nerd who has coached world class athletes in a dozen sports. He has an undergraduate degree in biochemistry from the University of Cambridge, a medical degree from the University of Oxford, and a PhD in physiology and neuroscience from the University of Oslo. Tommy is a Research Assistant Professor at the University of Washington, a Research Scientist at the Institute for Human and Machine cognition, and is on the scientific advisory board of Hintsa Performance. He is also CSO (Chief Snake Officer) at the Costa Rican Center for Bro Research. Tommy lives in Seattle with his wife Elizabeth and their two goofy boxers. In his spare time he can usually be found cooking, reading, or lifting something heavy.
- 8:07 Start of Podcast
- 8:52 The mechanism of caffeine/other compounds found in coffee/tea/chocolate in the human body.
- 11:27 Paul’s thoughts on coffee.
- 15:42 Tommy’s thoughts on coffee.
- 21:37 Human detoxification of plant toxins.
- 24:22 Regional differences in genetics.
- 26:00 Benefits of Elimination diet.
- 27:37 Tommy’s issues with low carb diets.
- 29:52 Is insulin anabolic?
- 36:07 Protein requirements
- 37:17 Physiologic insulin resistance.
- 51:47 What Causes insulin resistance?
- 58:12 Digestion of processed fat and carbohydrate
- 59:47 What is the fastest way to fix insulin resistance?
- 1:01:47 How the processing of food changes your physiology.
- 1:04:22 Insulin resistance in asian populations.
- 1:06:32 The bagel study.
- 1:08:37 Low-carb-high fat vs. low fat-high carb.
- 1:12:07 Electrolyte balance on low carb diet.
- 1:17:47 Where to find Tommy online?
- 1:19:57 The most radical thing Tommy has done recently.